We traditionally have our “Lights On” the Friday after Thanksgiving. Due to one major issue and the rainy weather, we will have to postpone until December 4th. The main pole of our Megatree broke during the high winds we had the weekend before Thanksgiving, Recovering the lights and rebuilding the Megatree set us back about 3 days. And then the weather has been rainy for the last 2 days. We are about 90% complete with setup and need to do some basic testing before we can turn the lights on. It looks like better weather later this week and we should be able to get things ready to go by then. Sorry for the inconvenience.
We only have a few items left to put away, but the display items are mostly out of the yard and at our offsite storage unit. I used to keep most of the items at our home, but got tired of going up and down the stairs to our unused room above our garage. It’s much easier to load it in the truck from the yard and take it the short distance to our storage unit. We keep a few of the larger items (Megatree and other poles) at our home, but most of the lights and other props are taken to storage.
Curious what it all looks like stored away? Take a look at the picture on the right. We have 3 shelving units and everything fits nice and snug in about 10 x 12 feet of storage space. In another 10 months, we’ll be bringing it back for testing, minor repairs and to start setting up for 2014.
Our 2012 display went live as of Saturday, November 24, 2012. It was a day later than I had planned, but it was still close.
I didn’t do a very good job this past year in updates as I was constructing new items, but I plan to do better in 2013.
I posted a few new pictures to give you an idea of the changes we did make to the display. Those pictures are located in the 2012 Photos area.
The most major change was rearranging the display. This required a lot of programming changes as I like to do color sweeps across the entire display. The changes I made were to move the 2 8 foot trees from being in the back of the display to flank the Megatree in the raised area of the yard. I did this since these items are taller and can’t be seen as much behind the oak trees. I plan to put some shorter items in their place in the next 1-2 years. I also moved the light rings back, also to give me room for something shorter in its place. I may still move it somewhere else next year.
I also replaced the 8 four foot trees that were on the right and left sides of the sidewalk. The previous ones were good, but they were tall and narrow. They frequently blew over in a strong wind. The ones I replaced them with are a more traditional shape of a Christmas tree, with a wider bottom.
I also tried the CCR’s again this year. I had 2 of these last year, but had problems with the controllers and didn’t use them. I have 3 mounted above the garage face and they seem to be working OK this time around.
The last thing I did was to add four DMX flood lights in front of the house. This was my first attempt in the DIY world as I built these from 5050 modules and 3 channel DMX controllers. They seem to add a nice affect.
I hope to record some video over the next couple of weeks. Watch for it to be posted soon.
I have had a couple of productive days. I set up the light rings last weekend. This weekend I got the megatree and the two 8′ trees set up. So far everything I have set up tests OK for connectivity to the LOR controllers. That is a good thing. I hope to set up the nine 3′ trees tomorrow and maybe even the eight 4′ trees. I have a few errands to do, but I am off all week and hope to make good progress. Besides those items, the only things left are the C9 borders, the tune to signs and the speakers for those who happen to walk by. I plan to be up Thanksgiving night, with perhaps a test night on Wednesday. So far, no injuries.